Sunday, May 6, 2012

My Last thoughts About the Bible (for now)

In the past, I have written that the Bible is not absolutely without error but that it is still a reputable book.  My beef is not with the Bible; what bothers me more than the fallibility of the Bible is what the preachers have told us we need to believe about it.  I hold the Bible in high regard.  I have read through the Bhagavad Gita of the Hindu religion, through the Koran of the Muslims, through the Book of Mormon, through the Egyptian and Tibetan "Book of the Dead" and in many other religious texts, yet, in my opinion none of them can even hold a candle to the spiritual insight, guidance and moral teachings taught by the Christian Bible.

My  basic stance is that if the Bible says it I will take it literally.  Therefore, since the Bible says that Christ was born to a virgin, and since it nowhere denies that statement I believe it to be true.  Likewise, the Bible says that Christ rose from the grave, and the Bible nowhere denies it, I believe it to be true.  However, the Bible tells us that God is omnipresent (everywhere at the same time) but it also tells us that He is hampered by time and location; I take the opposing view to what the church has taught us.  Perhaps, a different point of view, will help us see the possibility that the church's theologians have been too narrow in their theology and have kept us from seeing the truth.

In my next posts I will address teachings such as the infinity of God, the Trinity, Satan, the return of Christ and others.